The Catskills are one of the top culinary escapes in the nation. While the region has always had a legacy of excellent cuisine, the recent surge of new farms and farmers markets alongside a yearning to understand where food sources originate have prompted local restaurateurs to incorporate locally sourced products into their menus in unexpected ways.
The result? One-of-a-kind, farm-to-table – and even forest-to-table – restaurants that offer travelers just like you the opportunity to truly taste the Catskills.
While exploring the beautiful Catskills region on your own and discovering new sights, smells, tastes, and sounds is always recommended, there are a few farm-to-table restaurants that are not to be missed during a visit to the Catskills.
Give these restaurants a try and a taste, but remember – there are boundless opportunities to explore other Catskills restaurants:
- The Heron in Narrowsburg is open for brunch and dinner and incorporates the agricultural bounty of the region into its food and drink menus as much as possible.
- Table on Ten in Bloomville might have a simplistic façade, but step inside and you'll discover that they serve up anything but ordinary, complex cuisine that magically fuses together the flavors of the Catskills.
- Phoenicia Diner in Phoenicia serves as the Catskills' ultimate take on a modern diner, one that uses locally sourced ingredients at affordable diner prices.
- Deer Mountain Inn in Tannersville offers rustic and luxurious lodging, as well as an excellent menu with a variety of simple and small plates that allow locally sourced ingredients to really shine.
- Peekamoose Restaurant & Tap Room in Big Indian is the founding establishment of farm-to-table restaurants in the Catskills. Serving up locally sourced dishes since 2004, they've inspired countless others to do the same.
- The Tavern at The Arnold House in Livingston Manor has a cozy pub-like atmosphere and a standout menu that utilizes ingredients including trout straight from the Beaverkill River.
- Lucky Dog Farm & Café in Hamden utilizes fresh, local and organic ingredients whenever possible, many of which come from the Lucky Dog Farm. Eat in or grab a meal to go, and peruse the adjoining Lucky Dog Farm Store's selection of local products and wares.
- Catskill Lodge in Windham offers comfy and classic country accommodations with breakfast served daily and cooked by your hosts with love and ingredients from right down the road.
- The Catskills are New York's New Culinary Retreat, Conde Nast
- Farm Feasts in Delaware County, Conde Nast
- The Catskills, Snap #Food Issue
- Ate.O.Ate Food Truck: Farm-to-Truck Dining in the Catskills, Hudson Valley Magazine