There’s nothing quite like life on the open road in the Catskills. From carving up hairpin turns passing by towering waterfalls, to cruising on wide routes amid beautiful, bucolic farmlands with the Catskill Mountains in the distance, the region’s varying terrain lends way to some of the Northeast’s best motorcycling.
The Catskills: A Biker’s Dream
Hop on your hog and see what the Catskills hold for your next motorcycling adventure. Whether it’s a day trip to see the changing foliage in the fall, or you’re sticking around a little longer for a weekend-long tour of the region, along the way you’ll encounter friendly faces, small towns with open hearts and cozy places to stay, and scenery that will take your breath away turn after turn.
Here are a few popular routes to consider for your next Catskills motorcycle tour:
- Route 23A – Up north, traverse the switchback turns of Route 23A and ride by towering waterfalls along the way – including the highest cascading waterfall in New York State, Kaaterskill Falls – and continue onward and upward to roads nestled in the Catskill Mountains.
Insider Tip: Along this route, be cautious of pedestrians hiking to get a closer look at some the area’s waterfalls. Better yet, take a break, park your bike and join them!
- Route 30 – To the west, explore Route 30 and quaint towns like Roxbury, Middletown, and Andes while meandering the shores of the beautiful Pepacton Reservoir.
Insider Tip: Take a pit stop for a photo op at the Shavertown Bridge, offering one of the best views of the Pepacton.
- Route 97 – From Route 30, you can continue onto Route 97 – aka the Upper Delaware Scenic Byway – and head south along a 70-mile stretch that meanders alongside the beautiful and historic Delaware River, the birthplace of American fly fishing.
Insider Tip: Take a side trip off of Route 97 to experience a Catskills art and culture fixture: the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, aka the site of the 1969 Woodstock Festival.
- Route 28 – In the southeastern portion of the region, Route 28 will take you through charming towns including Woodstock, Phoenicia, and Shandaken, offering modern day takes on roadside diners, and plenty of unique places to stay along the way.
Insider Tip: The Phoenicia Diner is a top roadside stop for motorcyclists and other travelers passing through in the Catskills and one of our best bets for farm-to-table fare.
Motorcycle Rides, Rallies & Rendezvous
When you’re touring the Catskills by motorcycle, be sure to check out the region’s many upcoming events, and annual motorcycle rallies and festivals, including:
- The Catskill Mountain Thunder Motorcycle Rally in East Durham
- Colors in the Catskills at Hunter Mountain
- Spring Run at Blackthorne Resort